www.ourlittlecraftcompany.co.uk

Pop over to our website at www.ourlittlecraftcompany.co.uk

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Let the Festivities begin!

Last week at scrabble, (yes, that's how rock n roll I am) I was asked if I'd given the Christmas table any thought, which to be honest I hadn't but I really should have done.
You see, it has become my thing, it ensures that I am never asked to cook the dinner, that's Mum & Jill's thing, or wash the pots, that's a magic thing, apparently....
I'm also aware that many people will not take it as seriously as I do.

I've heard stories of people having their Christmas feast on a tray in front of the TV (...reaches for paper bag...takes deep breaths...) 

NOT ON MY WATCH!

 Over the years we've done many themes, so  this year I'm  thinking of something a bit different but truly festive. In my heart of hearts I want to do a natural wood & stone affair but I could see their faces when I suggested this, its taken me several years to get them to come round to the idea of more than two colours!

Last years brief was "Three Kings" so I was able to  go mad with lots of coloured silks, an abundance of candles, piles of fruit & nuts & ancient scroll menus tied with purple silk & gold ribbon.



One year we had Santas train running around the centre of the table, which was nice!





Thats the fun bit, logistically its a bit of a nightmare as we have to seat as many as twenty two people (Now you see why I dont offer to cook!) This means dressing the whole of my sisters double garage, floors walls and ceiling with sheets and dust covers and assembling a selection of mismatched furniture into one level feasting table...usually takes about six of us a day to get it looking sufficiently Christmassy.


You wouldnt believe there's a stack of bicycles, paint pots and toolboxes behind that curtain now would you?

Place settings are important, I urge you to take control and tell your guests exactly where you want them to sit, Jill and I normally go through at least half a bottle of baileys while drawing up our seating plan. (Even tho its basically pretty much the same every year...)




And I always do something a bit special for the children...

All in all I would encourage anyone who doesnt like cooking to throw themselves at the table in a bid to make it so special, that it too, will become "your thing", it works for me, I get to tuck into this guilt free on Christmas Day,




Happy Christmas
Lisa x

No comments:

Post a Comment